NATIONAL SALVATION ARMY WEEK CELEBRATION
MONDAY, MAY 10 - FRIDAY, MAY 14, 2021
The Salvation Army has had a presence in Thomaston for decades and serves as the anchor for the Litchfield Hills Service Unit. A well-respected Thomaston resident, the late William Berg, served as its Chairman for over 20 years.
The Salvation Army has provided many services to the Town of Thomaston over the years including, but not limited to:
- Comprehensive emergency assistance;
- Back-to-school assistance;
- Provided emergency food boxes to the Thomaston Food Pantry during COVID-19;
- Purchased a Home Goods Closet and stocked it with personal care and hygiene items for those in need;
- Through an annual grant from Thomaston Savings Bank, Thomaston children receive back-to-school shoes and supplies annually;
The Salvation Army brass ensemble has also played at Thomaston's Light up the Town event since late 70's/early 80's, only missing this past year due to COVID-19. In addition, they have led the Annual Kettle Campaign in Thomaston coordinated by our friends at Thomaston Savings Bank and Rotary.
Thomaston will kick off this weeklong celebration on Monday, May 10th by lighting up Town Hall in honor of all the wonderful years of service The Salvation Army has provided and continues to provide the residents of Thomaston.