Skip to content

Building Department

The primary purpose and goal of the Building Inspection Department is to enforce the State of Connecticut Building Code. This is to ensure that construction in the Town of Thomaston meets uniformed minimum standards of the State of Connecticut. Department enforcement efforts will be stringently upheld for sections of the Code that deal with life, health, and safety. The Town will enforce the Building Code as a set minimum standard as indicated by State Statutes. It is the intent of the Town of Thomaston in the operation of the Building Department to provide high quality and timely service in such a manner that homeowners, contractors, and businesses are not unnecessarily delayed in their respective construction activities. It is the intent of the Town of Thomaston to enforce the State Building Code in a fair and even handed manner and to deal with all parties in a polite and courteous manner. The following is a list of common projects that require permits. This is not intended to be a comprehensive list – please call the building office with questions:

  • New Homes
  • Additions
  • Alterations
  • Tanks (oil/propane/gas)
  • Solar Systems
  • Sheds/Gazebos/Garages
  • Decks/Piers
  • Wood/Pellet/Coal Stoves
  • Siding/Vinyl/Wood 
  • Chimneys/Fireplaces
  • Re-Roofing
  • Pools/In-ground and Above ground
  • Demolition
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical Wiring & Service
  • Heating/Air Conditioning
  • Refrigeration & Sprinkler Systems
  • Replacement Windows
  • Gas Log Sets

Residential permit fees are $25.00 for the first $1,000.00 of construction value and $12.00 for each additional $1,000.00 of construction value.

Commercial permit fees are $30.00 for the first $1,000.00 of construction value and $12.00 for each additional $1,000.00 of construction value.      

  • Only checks and cash accepted.

Please note that building permits will not be issued until the Building Official has reviewed the proposed plan for the work, which can take up thirty (30) days, and cannot be issued if you owe delinquent tax and/or sewer fees.

Swimming Pools

There are many Building Code regulations and owner responsibilities associated with the installation of swimming pools. The Building Department has a handout which may assist you with the requirements for a swimming pool, including a portable pool. Please visit the Building Department office to discuss any issues you may have regarding pools. These code requirements ensure a safe environment for our families and friends while enjoying outdoor recreational activities.

Swimming pool requirements click here

Accessory Buildings/Structures

Accessory buildings and structures are generally incidental to the primary structure on the property and are not attached to the primary structure. Common examples are storage sheds and detached garages.

Click here for information you need to know about putting accessory buildings on your property.

Please note that approval will be required from zoning, as well as Torrington Area Health District approval if you have a septic and/or well before a building permit is issued. (TAHD applications can be obtained in the Building and Land Use Office) for all swimming pools and accessory buildings/structures.


Before a permit can be issued, the Zoning Officer, Tax Office, and Sewer Dept. need to sign off on the application. Torrington Area Health District will also need to sign off if you have a well and/or septic.

At the time of submitting a permit application, staff will notify you of required inspections, depending on the type of permit. Permit holders are required to contact the Building and Land Use Office to schedule required inspections. A twenty four (24) hour notice is required for all inspections.

Inspections in Typical Residential Construction

The Building Inspector completes the typical following inspections during construction: 

  • Temporary electric service.
  • Footing or pier inspection before concrete is poured.
  • Footing drains and waterproofing inspection before back filling foundation.
  • Underground plumbing/minimum 10' head or 5 lbs maximum.
  • Concrete floor prior to pouring - 6 mil pol to be installed under slab.
  • Rough framing/Fire stopping inspection.
  • Rough plumbing inspection.
  • Rough electrical inspection.
  • Rough heating/cooling inspection.
  • Insulation inspection, after all roughs inspection (building must be waterproof before insulating, i.e. all roofing, siding and windows installed.
  • Electrical service inspection.
  • Certificate of Occupancy  or acceptance

Rather than make separate trips for each of the above inspections, the Town will endeavor to consolidate several inspections into one trip at each site, especially rough framing, electric, plumbing, and heating.

State of Connecticut Building Codes

Effective October 1, 2016 2012 International Building Code with 2016 CT. Amendments 2012 International Residential Code with 2016 CT. Amendments 2012 International Mechanical Code with 2016 CT. Amendments 2012 International Plumbing Code with 2016 CT. Amendments 2012 International Energy Conservation Code 2014 NFPA 70 National Electrical Code, ICC/ANSI A117.1-2009 Accessible and Usable Building and Facilities

State Building Code: 2005 Connecticut Supplement: available by download from this website:

Listing files in 'Building Department'

Frequently Asked Questions

Why are building permits required?

A building permit serves as formal and legal permission to start any construction job. The issuance of a building permit indicates that plans for a new structure, addition, alteration, renovation, foundation, plumbing, heating and air conditioning, electrical, prefabricated structures, etc. have been approved by a building inspector and complies with current mandated building codes and zoning regulations.

What are the benefits of having a building permit?

Increased Value - Your home or business is an investment. If your construction project does not comply with the codes adopted by your community, the value of your investment could be reduced. Property insurers may not cover work done without permits and inspections. If you decide to sell a home or building that has had modifications without a permit, you may be required to tear down the addition, leave it unoccupied or do costly repairs.

Protects - A property owner who can show that code requirements were strictly and consistently met, as demonstrated by a Building Official's carefully maintained records, has a strong ally if something happens to trigger a potentially destructive lawsuit.

Ensures safety - Your permit also allows the Building Official to protect the public by reducing the potential hazards of unsafe construction and ensuring public health, safety and welfare. By following code guidelines, your completed project will meet minimum standards of safety and will be less likely to cause injury to you, your family, your friends or future owners.

What is a building code?

Building codes are laws and ordinances established by Local, State, and Federal governments which set minimum safety standards. Building codes embrace all aspects of the building construction - structural as well as plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and mechanical.

How can I obtain a permit?

1. Talk to Your Local Building Official

Your Building Official wants your project to be a success and will help you avoid potential problems that could cost you time and money. You will be asked some basic questions about the proposed work, advised of any requirements, and, if necessary, referred to other departments for their approval. The Building Official will provide you with the resources and information needed for compliance with the applicable building codes. You will then receive an application for a building permit.

2. Submit Application

At this stage you will submit the "who, what, when, where and how" of the job, along with any required sketches or plans of the proposed work. Separate permits are required for electrical, plumbing, and heating or air-conditioning work. The Building Official will review your plans and determine if your project is in compliance with local requirements. If your plans meet these requirements, a permit is issued. If not, the Building Official may suggest solutions to help correct the problem. Please note that the review process and can take up to thirty (30) days.

3. Receive Permit

When your permit is received in the mail, you have legal permission to start construction. A fee, based on the total estimated construction cost of the job, is collected by cash or checks made payable to "The Town of Thomaston" to cover the cost of the application, the review, and inspections. An experienced Building Official is available to you should you have any questions concerning your project. You should consider your Building Official as an ally who will help you make your project a success.

4. Job-site Visits

Onsite inspections will be required to make certain the work conforms to the permit, local codes, and plans. Again, you will have access to the expertise of the Building Official to help you with questions or concerns regarding the project and to ward off potentially costly mistakes. The Building Official will let you know approximately how many inspections may be needed for your project. Twenty four (24) hour notice is required when scheduling inspections.

5. Receive Final Approval

The Building Official will provide documentation when construction is complete and code compliance is determined. You will then have the personal satisfaction of a job done right. Enjoy your new surroundings with the peace of mind and the knowledge that they meet the safety standards in your community.

Will my taxes increase?

The Assessor's office can help you with tax related questions. They can be reached at (860) 283-0305

Why are inspections necessary?

Inspections are performed by a Building Inspector, who checks each phase of construction and makes certain that the work conforms to the building codes, the approved plans, and the permit.

Can a homeowner work on their own house?

A homeowner can work on his or her own house provided the house is a single family owner occupied dwelling. If the house is rental property or a multi-family dwelling, a Connecticut licensed professional must apply for the permit and perform the electrical, plumbing, heating, and air conditioning, sprinkler, mechanical, etc.

What are mechanical permits?

Examples of Mechanical permits include electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, ventilation, sprinkler, hood systems, low voltage wiring.


Note: The information contained on these web pages is subject to change without notice. This is intended to be a guide only. There will be circumstances where information will be required which will not be listed.