The mill rate for the 2016 grand list is 35.05.
The 2016 grand list real estate and personal property tax bills are due August 1, 2017. The last day to pay without incurring interest is September 1, 2017. These bills were mailed July 10, 2017. You may also print a copy of your bill by clicking on the Pay Bills and Tax Information link below.
The 2016 grand list motor vehicle bills are due December 1, 2017. The last day to pay without interest is January 2, 2018. Bills were mailed to taxpayers on Wednesday, November 8, 2017. The delay in mailing this year's bills was due to the fact that the Town was waiting a decision by the State of Connecticut regarding the state-wide motor vehicle mill rate cap and finalization of the State budget. If you did not receive a bill, please call the Tax Office at 860-283-4271.
Pay Bills and Tax Information
When Taxes Are Due
Real Estate and Personal Property taxes are paid in two installments, July 1st and January 1st (normally). Failure to pay on or before August 1st or February 1st will result in a late payment with interest at 1.5% per month (18% per year) and computed from the due date of July 1st or January 1st, per State Statute 12-145. Minimum interest charge is $2.00.
Motor vehicle bills are due in one installment. Bills are calculated from an October 1st date. If you have sold or traded in an automobile for which you have received a bill, please contact the Assessor's office on how to proceed prior to paying your bill. The Assessor's number is 860-283-0305.
Notice to Thomaston Taxpayers with DELINQUENT MOTOR VEHICLE taxes.
On March 31, 2010, at a Thomaston Town Meeting, an ordinance was adopted that requires ANY delinquent motor vehicle bill be charged a $2.00 delinquent fee.
“Foreclosure Mediation: Notice of Community Based Resources” This information is being provided to the public in accordance with PA 12-1 Section 129, effective 10/1/2012.
Thomaston taxpayers are now able to pay their real estate, personal property, motor vehicle, and supplemental motor vehicle taxes with a credit card, debit card, or e-check, either online or in the Tax Office. This service is provided through Point & Pay.
Please note, delinquent motor vehicle or supplemental motor vehicle taxes cannot be paid with a credit card, debit card, or e-check if you need to register any motor vehicle at DMV within thirty (30) days of making payment. Payment must be in the form of cash, money order, or certified bank check per Town Ordinance.
To better serve the community, the Tax Office has partnered with Point & Pay to accept credit or debit card payments. Point & Pay adds a 2.75% ($2.00 minimum) convenience fee for processing your payment on a credit or debit card. An e-check is $2.95 per check.
Please do not post date checks.
Please do not use staples.
- Yes, you can write one check for all your tax bills.
- Delinquent motor vehicle tax bills have to be paid with cash, money order, or certified bank check per Town Ordinance passed June 29, 2004.
- Per State Statute 12-130, failure to have received a bill does not exempt the taxpayer from taxes or interest charge.
- Interest cannot be waived.
- U.S. postmark date is used to determine interest.
- Past-due taxes must be paid before current taxes. The oldest list year is paid first (CGS12-146), except for prior years that are in litigation or predate a pending bankruptcy.
- Concerning tax types within a given year: Unless the taxpayer indicates otherwise, payments are to be applied first to personal property, then to motor vehicle (regular or supplemental, whichever is older), then to real estate (CGS12-143).
- Any payment received will be applied to interest, liens, and fees first, then tax (CGS 12-144b).
Thomaston Tax Collector
PO Box 136
Thomaston, CT 06787-0136
Phone: (860) 283-4271
Fax: (860) 283-2893
Darryl Hotaling, CCMC
Assistant Tax Collector
Monday to Wednesday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon