Grand List Year 2020 Mill Rate: 36.13
When Taxes Are Due:
Real Estate bills (2 Installments): First installment due July, 1, 2021 The last day to pay without interest is August 2, 2021. Second installment due January 1, 2022. The last day to pay without interest is February 1, 2022.
Personal Property bills (2 installments-normally): First installment due July 1, 2021. The last day to pay without interest is August 2, 2021. Second installment due January 1, 2022. The last day to pay without interest is February 1, 2022.
Motor Vehicle bills (1 installment): Due July 1, 2021. The last day to pay without interest is August 2, 2021. Bills are calculated from an October 1st date. If you have sold or traded in an automobile for which you have received a bill, please contact the Assessor's office on how to proceed prior to paying your bill. The Assessor's number is 860-283-0305.
Motor Vehicle Supplemental bills (1 installment - mailed in the month of December): Due on January 1, 2022. The last day to pay without interest is February 1, 2022.
***Failure to pay on or before August 2 or February 1 will result in a late payment with interest charged at 1.5% per month (18% per year) computed from the due date of July 1 or January 1, per State Statute 12-145. Minimum interest charge is $2.00.***
If you misplaced a bill(s), you may print a copy of your bill by clicking on the Pay Bills and Tax Information link below or call the Tax Office at 860-283-4271.
Notice to Thomaston Taxpayers with DELINQUENT MOTOR VEHICLE taxes:
a) On June 29, 2004, an ordinance was adopted that requires delinquent motor vehicle taxes be paid with cash, money order, or certified bank check.
b) On March 31, 2010, at a Thomaston Town Meeting, an ordinance was adopted that requires ANY delinquent motor vehicle bill be charged a $2.00 delinquent fee.
Taxpayers are encouraged to conduct business remotely using one of the options listed below:
- Mail in payments using the self-addressed envelope.
- Visit one of the Thomaston Savings Bank locations in Thomaston only during the months of July and January. You must bring original bill and not owe back taxes. You cannot combined multiple bills on one check.
- The Tax Office has partnered with Point & Pay, which allows Thomaston taxpayers to pay their real estate, personal property, motor vehicle, and supplemental motor vehicle taxes with a credit card, debit card, or e-check either online or in the Tax Office. Please click on the link below "How to make a payment online." Point & Pay fees are as follows:
- E-check: $2.00 flat rate (per check)
- Credit Card: $2.75% ($2.00 minimum)
- Debit Card: $3.50 flat rate (must have VISA logo on card)
Please do not postdate checks.
- Per State Statute 12-130, failure to have received a bill does not exempt the taxpayer from taxes, fees, liens, or interest.
- Interest cannot be waived.
- U.S. postmark date is used to determine interest.
- Past-due taxes must be paid before current taxes. The oldest list year is paid first (CGS12-144b), except for prior years that are in litigation or predate a pending bankruptcy.
- Any payment received will be applied to fees, liens, and interest first, and then to tax (CGS 12-144b).
Information regarding future tax sales, please click on the link below.
“Foreclosure Mediation: Notice of Community Based Resources” This information is being provided to the public in accordance with PA 12-1 Section 129, effective October 1, 2012.
Thomaston Tax Collector
PO Box 136
Thomaston, CT 06787-0136
Phone: (860) 283-4271
Fax: (860) 283-2893
Assistant Tax Collector
Monday: 8:00am – 4:00pm
Tuesday: 8:00am – 4:00pm
Wednesday: 8:00am – 4:00pm
Thursday: 8:30am – 6:00pm
Friday: 8:30am – Noon
2022 Holiday Closing/Observances:
01/03/2022: New Year’s Day /Observed Monday
01/17/2022: Martin Luther King Day / Monday
02/11/2022: Lincoln’s Birthday / Friday
02/21/2022: Presidents' Day / Monday
04/15/2022: Good Friday / Friday
05/30/2022: Memorial Day / Monday
07/04/2022: Independence Day / Monday
09/05/2022: Labor Day / Monday
10/10/2022: Indigenous Peoples Day / Monday
11/08/2022: Election Day / Tuesday
11/11/2022: Veteran’s Day / Friday
11/24/2022: Thanksgiving Day / Thursday
11/25/2022: Thanksgiving Day After / Friday
12/23/2022: Christmas Eve / Observed Friday
12/26/2022: Christmas Day / Observed Monday
12/30/2022: New Year's Eve / Observed Friday
2023 Holiday Closing/Observances:
01/02/2023: New Year’s Day / Observed Monday